Thursday, April 12, 2012

Scott-Heron's Revolution

"Scott-Heron's Revolution" (2011)
I finished this piece close to seven months ago as a submission to the Artrageous! 26 Auction. Hard to believe that I would plan so far in advance, I know. The auction is run through Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, MA and almost all of the proceeds go straight towards funding a variety of programs in the school. Last year the proceeds helped establish an animation department in the school. Now kids can major in an animation concentration, a few people I know personally have already benefited from this.

 I had submitted two pieces similar to this one for the past couple years, each usually ending with some great success for the evening. Over the past few months I had taken the pleasure of reading the written works and the listening to the music written by Gil Scott-Heron, best know for his spoken word piece "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised." I liked what he performed and eventually picked up two of his albums and read his memoir that was released earlier this year. Turns out he had done quite a bit more than I had imagined in his lifetime.

I decided to make this piece similar to the other auction pieces I had submitted before but I wanted to see how much more I could add into it color wise.  Personally, it looks fantastic printed and physical rather than just another .png floating on the internet. I'm hoping it'll do as well as the other pieces that have come before it.

No comments:

Post a Comment