Saturday, March 13, 2010

Current Ideas and Project

Over the past couple of years, it seems that there have been several times when I tend to unknowingly create a series of images. It wasn't until recently that I felt that any of that work was worth showing off.

And Asterisk
My first attempt in abstract typographic work from last year. I used the characters "*" and "&" to create these images, which explains the title of this series. Using the Baskerville font gave these images a sort of elegant look with the serifs on the characters. These images came off to me as some sort of abstract baroque style, with their simplistic yet graceful appearance.
And Asterisk - Emblem



Plastic Beach

With the recent release of the Gorillaz newest album "Plastic Beach" (which I will address later on in this blog), I've been completely caught up in some sort of (for lack of a better term) "Gorillaz fever." That being said, their music has begun to inspire me to do a series based off the songs on the album. The example shown here is for their single "Stylo". I'd prefer to make them so they didn't look too similar to each other, or seem like a direct translation from the song lyrics. These works will be seen in the near future in this blog.
Stylo - Yippee Ki Yay

Speech


Another recent series that I have been playing with. The idea I want to explain is that people live on in their words. The example I show from this series is one of Martin Luther King Dr. whose image is constructed from the words of his public speech "I Have a Dream" from 1963. The shaded letters on the color background form the image. This particular series has received a decent amount of praise, although getting the image and the speech featured to work together isn't always a walk in the park. I'm looking forward to continuing these series.
Dream


Please visit my DeviantArt page if you want to see better quality versions of these images and their respected series. And my apologies for any personal rage you might experience by dealing with DeviantArt.

No comments:

Post a Comment